Monday, January 2, 2012

Catan and a 5 year old girl

Bianca loves "Settlers of Catan".
If you aren't familiar with the game Here is the website.  We like it quite a bit.
http://www.catan.com/

     To play you trade in materials represented by pictures of sheep, rocks,wood bricks, and straw. You earn those materials by betting on a number surrounded by land types.   Land types relate to materials.  The numbers in the middle of each area corresponds to a number on the dice 2-12.  That's why I call it betting.  You place your settlements and roads around an area, betting that the dice will be kind.  The kicker is that  you're sort of locked to an area after you put your initial settlements down.  It is all very easy once you start but I find it hard to explain without rocking some excruciating detail.  So I hope this helped but...

Anyway...

We got my son Joey the travel edition for christmas.  We played it that day and Joey wasn't really a fan.  The betting hurt him.  Bianca loved trading in pictures.  She loved building roads and houses and honestly, she just loved it.  It is hard to overstate this because while she does dig things.  She rarely digs things to this degree.
     So, we had Joey new years weekend and he brought it with him.  Bianca begged to play it.  She is such a sweet little trader. She'll give you whatever you need because you need it.  Too cute really. Joey won but Bianca finished second convincingly.  I do have to say that we took out the robber.  (The robber can steal materials.) So it was a little lopsided but really it makes it possible for Bianca to play.
     Honestly I like the game a lot.  It isn't too complicated for a five year old, provided you take necessary precautions, and the rest of the family seems to like it too.  I have a feeling we'll be purchasing a big one for the house soon.  Know that I will also write about that.

     I wanted to talk about this because I wanted to expound on what I think Im on about.  Gaming is more than video games.  But I think where I'm going to is family entertainment all together.  Hmmmmm... yesssss... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment